Friday, October 9, 2015

Overcoming Fear

Overcoming Fear

I remember going to the movies and in the midst of all of the previews I heard this quote. "Fear is not real.  It is a product of thoughts you create. Don't misunderstand me danger is very real.  But Fear is a choice." - Will Smith.  It had me think about how many times I have allowed fear to stop me in doing things. Big things.  Thinking I have no choice, but I do.  I have the choice to allow the fear the cripple me or to leap through the fear and do it anyway.
Think of how many times you have been afraid to do something. What would be different if you acknowledged the fear, and chose to do it anyway?  How would things be different?  So what does it take to choose out of fear? Something bigger and more important than the fear.  When I was pregnant with my first child I was so afraid of having a c-section.  I would get so anxious thinking about the possibility.  When I went into labor my child's heart stopped and I needed an emergency c-section.  All I could think about was my child.  That fear of the surgery never entered my mind because there was a bigger purpose.  Even something smaller such as speaking to a large group of people.  I remember shaking, but then thinking, I have something to teach these people. I can make a difference.  So what's more important, my fear or the difference I can make? 
Next time fear creeps in, know it's ok  and natural.  Experience the fear, then stop, think about what it is you are afraid of and why.  What will happen if you don't do it? What will be different if you do it? Then Choose.  You are the author of your life.  Write your beautiful story and make a difference in this world!

by Juarline Stavrinos

No comments:

Post a Comment