Friday, October 9, 2015

Tantrums, Not my kid

Tantrums, Not my kid
Prior to becoming a parent, I thought tantrums were only for terrible twos.  So when my child breezed through twos without a tantrum I thought I was home free.  Then on his third birthday, as if on cue, we decided to make chocolate chip cookies and I put the vanilla in the batter instead of him. Next thing I knew he was having his first tantrum right on the kitchen floor.

Two kids later and much wiser, I know that everyone has tantrums.  Haven't you ever seen an adult tantrum?  I can think of a few.  Ok, let's be honest I have had my fair share.  But the key is to teach our children, and ourselves how to go through our emotional tantrums in a socially acceptable way.  This is why myself, and great friend Margarita, created our workshop that Newsday featured called, "Effective Parenting Through Meltdowns and Tantrums".  We want to let families know you are not alone and yes there are tools that can lessen the tantrum, but also teach our children how to handle their emotions.  When life hands us lemons, lets have a family lemonade stand.  We want families to know their is help out there, you just have to reach for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment